If you enjoy spending time outdoors working with lumber or cutting down trees, then you know the importance of a great chainsaw. However, have you ever thought of the best chainsaw sharpeners to use with your machine? Having a chainsaw sharpener means you will work consistently and accurately since you will never work with dull blades.
With the best chainsaw blade sharpener, you can extend the longevity of the chain and you are also able to save money in the long run. Many people tend to throw away their blades once they get dull, which is a very big mistake. Just because a blade is dull does not always mean that you must get a new one. With the top rated chainsaw sharpener, you can get the most out of your saw chain within no time.
In a Hurry!
Focusing on the features, you should choose Oregon 410-120 as this thing comes out covering all the aspects than other products in this list.
- Universal sharpener: Sharpen almost saw any chain from manufacturers such as Oregon, Stihl, Husqvarna, and others
- Durable sharpener: Ideal for any user who sharpens chains semi-regularly and wishes to save time and money. Great for loggers, arborists, semi-professionals and home users who regularly saw wood
- Bench or wall mounted grinder: Sharpens 1/4", 3/8" low profile, 0.325", full profile 3/8", and .404" pitch chains from all manufacturers. Standing tripod can be purchased separately
What is a chainsaw sharpener?
A chainsaw sharpener is a tool that you can use to keep their blade sharp. If you have dealt with a dull chain saw blade, then you know how challenging it is to use the tool. You not only have less control over the machine but you may also need to work extra hard. The saw blade teeth need to work together to work on the material presented to them. As long as you have the right and a sharp saw chain, you can cut through any material including metal.
There are many sharpeners, manual, electric, bench mounted, or even portable ones. All these chainsaws are created for different chainsaw sizes. That is why you need to get the right information to be able to make the right choice. To make it easy for you, we have listed several chainsaw sharpeners t to help you choose the right one for you. The following chainsaw sharpeners review will help you get the one that stands out from the pack. Enjoy the read!
Table of Contents
- What is a chainsaw sharpener?
- Best Chainsaw Sharpeners Review
- 1. Oregon 410-120 Electric Chainsaw Grinder
- 2. Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener – Best Bar-Mounted Sharpener
- 3. Oregon 520-120 Bench Chain Grinder
- 4. Stihl 2-in-1 Easy File
- 5. Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
- 6. Granberg Bar-Mount
- 7. Stihl 2 In 1 Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpener
- 8. CO-Z Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
- 9. XtremepowerUS 85W Mini Electric Chainsaw Grinder Sharpener
- 10. Pferd 17300 CS-X Chain Sharp Filing Guide
- Buyers Guide: How To Choose a Chainsaw Sharpener?
- Why use a chainsaw sharpener?
- How to use a chainsaw sharpener?
- When and how often to sharpen?
Best Chainsaw Sharpeners Review
1. Oregon 410-120 Electric Chainsaw Grinder
This sharpener is among the best rated chainsaw sharpener offered by Oregon. It is the premium tool if you are looking for an ideal one to have in your workshop. If you are a DIY enthusiast looking for a chainsaw sharpener to use occasionally, then this sharpener is a great choice. The product’s performance never disappoints.
You can easily mount the tool on the wall or a bench which makes it more convenient. The sharpener will sharpen your saw chain up to 402.
The top-rated chainsaw sharpeners come with an inbuilt light to help you see everything clearly while working on the tool. It also comes with a one-way motor.
According to Oregon 410-120 reviews, the easy to use adjustments make the tool one of the best electric chain saws in the market. It is very effortless for a newbie. You can use the sharpener on various types of chainsaw since it comes with three different grinding wheels.What we like:
- Easy to mount on walls or benches
- Comes with a one-way motor for user safety
- Smooth adjustments
- Includes three different grinding wheels
- The tool is a bit heavier
2. Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener – Best Bar-Mounted Sharpener
If you love aluminum sharpeners, then you might consider this Timberline sharpener. It comes with 3/16 carbide cutters from Timberline. According to Timberline sharpener review, users love the sharpener for its handiness and efficiency.
The product is portable, durable, and it is also a quality aluminum sharpener. The tool is designed to sharpen 325 pitch chains. The tool is also very precise and sharpens al the teeth at an equal angle. In case you are looking for a sharpener that will deliver professional results, this might be the only option.
In general, you will take delight in the machine, especially considering its small size and portability. With the machine, you will need less storing space. Even if your house is small, you will never fall short or the storage space.What we like:
- Small and portable
- It is convenient to use even for beginners.
- Well-constructed for better results
- Supports other pitches and angles
- Comes ready for use with a 30-degree standard cut and a .325 pitch saw chain
- Some reviewers complained about the brittle carbides
- Some users complain about the construction of the tool that makes it hard to sharpen the teeth equally.
3. Oregon 520-120 Bench Chain Grinder
According to electric chainsaw sharpener reviews, Oregon 520-120 is designed for heavy use. The electric bench mounted chainsaw sharpener comes with a powerful motor, durable build, a three-year warranty and accepts almost all the chains.
Oregon 520-120 is a perfect professional sharpener that is both powerful as well as versatile, making it the best electric chainsaw sharpener. The sharpener rotates its grinding disc at 3400rpm, making an output of ¼ inch, .325 inch, 1/2, and a ¾ inch pitch chains. The tool comes with three different wheels for grinding and offers a greater versatility when sharpening different sizes of chainsaw chain types. The tool also includes a template for a depth gauge, a wheel contour, and a wheel-dressing brick.
Another great feature with this tool is its self-centering vice that automatically aligns to the blade angle offering an equal sharpening effect. In case you are looking for a sharpener that is fast and able to sharpen several chainsaw chain in a row, then this is the sharpener for you.What we like:
- Oregon 520-120 is easy to use
- Comes with a durable and strong construction
- The sharpener can handle multiple chains at once
- The tool does not come with a spindle lock
4. Stihl 2-in-1 Easy File
The sharpener is the most useful that anyone can have. It is one of the best chainsaw sharpener for the money. It is the only sharpener that can work as a depth gauge as well as the real sharpener. While the sharpener is very simple to use, as long as you use it the right way, you will get awesome sharpness as well as the cutting angle. The depth gauge is a bonus that adds to the sharpeners overall functionality.
The sharpener is known as a 2 in 1 since it serves as a sharpener and reduces the depth gauge of the teeth, all at once. According to Stihl 2 in 1 review, some users found the easy to use, even among the beginners. The sharpener was also very fast for a manual sharpener.
However, it is good to note that the file can only work on a chain sizes which is .325 only. In case you own different chains, you will need to get an alternative. But if you own an exact chain, this is the top quality sharpener that you can have.What we like:
- The sharpen is very affordable
- Very Convenient
- Consumes less bench space
- Is not compatible with all chains
- Since it is manual, it is slow when it comes to sharpening multiple chains.
5. Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
This is the easiest electric sharpener in the market. Once you clamp it on a work table, wall, vase, or any stable flat surface, you can easily power on the tool and get to work. All you need is to sharpen each chainsaw chain individually.
The tool boasts a 4200 rpm grinding speed. It also plugs into a 120-volt standards wall outlet. It uses a 4 and a 1/4 inch by 1/8 inch grinding wheel, with a 7/8 inch arbor. The good thing about the sharpener is that is can sharpen all types of saw chain.
The tool is easy to operate as soon as you mount it on a flat surface for stability and easy access. Most people love that the tool is lightweight and easy to use for both beginners and professional woodworkers as well. The fact that it takes less bench space is an added advantage to the user.What we like:
- Sharpens effectively and efficiently
- An effortless operation for beginners
- Sharpens each chainsaw chain on an equal angle and length
- Versatile enough to fit different chains
- Some buyers complain that the instructions are not clear enough
6. Granberg Bar-Mount
If looking forward to keeping your chains in good condition, then this is the top quality electric sharpener for you. Most users like the functionality and construction of the sharpener of this tool. Regardless of the material you wish to cut, the tool will help your chainsaw get the required sharpness.
The product is a precision bar mounted one, and it is made of zinc plated steel and cast aluminum. To set and hold the right sharpening angle, the tool uses calibrated swivel guide markings. The features integrated into the tool allow the user to set a tooth length as well as the file height with ease. The Granberg chainsaw sharpener is the perfect choice if looking for a sharpener that mounts on any saw of any size.What we like:
- It is effortless to use
- Very precise and correct
- Comes with a strong construction
- Very useful when it comes to putting all the cutters at an equal length
- Offers a complete solution to all chainsaw used on hand-held saws
- Sharpens any chain at an exact angle, as long as you set it correctly
- Some buyers complain about the construction quality
- Some people say that the tool lacks precision and that it is sloppy
7. Stihl 2 In 1 Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpener
The tool is not referred to as the best manual chainsaw sharpener. The reason is that the file acts as both a depth gauge and as a sharpener as well. The file is easy to use the file, as long as you use it the right way and you will get the best results. When it comes to sharpens and cutting angle, the tool is simply the best. The depth gauge adds to the tool’s overall functionality.
The STIHL 2 in 1 is a simple to use chain sharpener that is great for anyone in search of a reliable cutter that weighs less. The tool is lightweight making it easy to transport to the working place. The design is compact and you will love the consistency and accuracy that the device offers. With the tool, you can focus more on the work instead of the maintenance process.What we like:
- It is lightweight since it weighs only 12 ounces
- Small and easy to carry around
- Takes less space in your saw case
- It is ideal for people working in areas with an unreliable power source, Delivers correct results.
- It is not compatible with all chain size
- Since it is manual, it is slow when cutting multiple chains
8. CO-Z Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
The CO-Z sharpener is a bit new in the market but has already made a great impression. The tool is quickly gaining accolades for both the price and operation. The tool comes from durable cast aluminium. It also comes with reinforced hinges to improve strength and performance. On top of that, the tool comes with adjusting the angle on the blade and large handles for better control and ease of use.
Some of the tool’s convenient features include safety guards and built-in lights to improve accuracy and superior protection. A tilting vice on the tool accommodates a semi-chisel and a chisel style cutter. The tool also includes a grinding wheel of 1/8 and 3/16 inches.What we like:
- The tool comes with convenient features for ease of use
- Very durable since it is made of durable construction
- The sharpener comes with two grinding wheels
- Very safe to use since it comes with built-in working lights to make sure you see everything clearly when sharpening.
- It is hard for a newbie
- Some users complain that the instructions are not very clear
- Even though prices are prone to changes, currently the tool is not so affordable
9. XtremepowerUS 85W Mini Electric Chainsaw Grinder Sharpener
This sharpening tool is an incredible and efficient chainsaw sharpener. It is an automatic system that comes in a small package. The tool runs on 85 watts motor power and grinding power of 4200 rpm. The sharpener comes with a table or a vice angle that is easy to adjust up to 35 degrees on either right or left. You can easily put the chain in place with the use of the big-brake handle.
This sharpener needs a very little set-up. This means that it is very easy to set up and use, even for a beginner. According to sharpener reviews, the tool is ideal for sharpening multiple chains at a go, making it the handy for those looking forward to sharpening several chains at once. The tool is also economical and convenient addition to your workshop.What we like:
- The tool is small and so it takes up less space
- Very powerful for a tool of its size
- Very affordable
- Some users say that the machine vibrates too much
- The tool builds up the heat so quickly
10. Pferd 17300 CS-X Chain Sharp Filing Guide
The Pferd 17300 sharpener is the most reliable solution for hand sharpening saw chain. With every file stroke, the tool will sharpen a sawtooth and support the height of the saw’s depth gauge. Besides, hand sharpening is economical and much easier.
With the tool, you will experience a fast conversion, changing from left to right tooth by simply flipping the device. You can easily access the round and flat files that are easily accessible via a hinged opening inside the handle. This way, you will get a fast and simple change when it wears.
The file comes with an awesome design that prevents incorrect file fitting. The tool comes with symbols as well as the arrows for file direction guide. The tool is compatible with different saw chains. The sharpener comes with an optimized shape for a precise guiding.What we like:
- Improved file place
- Simple handling due to the improved shape of the tool
- Fast and easy to sharpen
- Very correct when sharpening
- The sharpener is compatible with different chains
- Not so fast
Buyers Guide: How To Choose a Chainsaw Sharpener?
The chainsaw sharpener reviews should give you a better picture of what the sharpener is all about. Before settling on any decision, here are some of the factors that you need to consider;
Sharpeners are made for various gauges of chainsaw chains. A single chainsaw sharpener can sharpen various chains. Even though a single sharpener may not handle all the chains, a good one should be compatible with many of the chains.
The aim of buying one is to get the best for the money. With that in mind, you need to take time to look at various chain saws that range within your budget and choose the most suitable one. For example, if you are DIY, you do not have to spend so much money on a sharpener.
Each type of product comes with its advantages and disadvantages. All you need is to get familiar with the tool descriptions to help you decide on the high quality model that will work for you.
Frequency of use
If you usually sharpen daily, an electric model is a convenient option for you. However, if you rarely sharpen your saw, then a hand-held sharpener may be the most desirable for you. Sharpeners with mounted guides offer enough precision and this helps the sharpener to last long. However, they consume more workshop space.
It is always good to decide on how much you are willing to spend on it. The reason is that with a budget you can restrict your spending on products within a certain range.
All models cannot handle all sizes of chains. Some tools are restricted to one size while others can handle multiple sizes when adjusted. .325 inch, ¼ inch, ½ inch, ¾, and 3/8 inch are the common sizes. Therefore, check your saw to make sure it falls under any of these categories.
Built and quality
Always make sure you get a chainsaw that is built to last. Besides, you would not want to spend money on a tool that will wear after two to three ties of use. It is also good to get a chain sharpener that works userfriendly, even for beginners since the tool might be a big investment for your workshop. Sharpeners that are made of metal are usually the most durable ones. The reason is that sharpening involves less solid metal and metal on metal and that can wear solid materials easily.
Chainsaw sharpening is dangerous if proper care is not in place. With that in mind, before you buy a sharpener, take time to check the available safety features on a given sharpener. Even if you are a professional when it comes to working with chain saws and sharpening blades, an accident can happen. Also, if you are so used to the chains on the saws, you still need to be sure that the tools come with safety features. For example, a depth gauge that comes with hand-held tools is the fittest example of safety features.
Why use a chainsaw sharpener?
It is important when it comes to maintaining the chain on your saw and make sure the chain works effectively. Keeping the blades sharp reduces the time taken to cut through various materials.
Also, sharp blades keep you safe by reducing the chances of your saw experiencing kickbacks, which is very dangerous. In addition to that, a sharper chain means that you have to use less battery power or battery to cut through a piece of wood. It also reduces the rate at which a chainsaw chain wears.
How to use a chainsaw sharpener?
Using a sharpener is an easy and straightforward process. All you need is to make sure that you do not file the cutters slowly. The reason is that doing this might ruin your chain or even make it dangerous to use. Hand-held model work with the use of a spinning disk to file down the cutters on your chainsaw. Here, you use a guide to help keep up an exact angle while sharpening.
However, since you are using a hand-held sharpener, you need to stay keen to be able to complete the task without using the wrong sharpening angle. If you file the chains wrongly, you will ruin the tool’s ability and accuracy.
When and how often to sharpen?
How often and when you need to sharpen the chainsaw depends on what you intend to cut through and the amount. For clean cuts, you need to sharpen the chain after several hours of use. However, if you notice dirt or sand, you may need to sharpen the chain almost immediately. Otherwise, you may fail to get clean and correct cuts. If you notice that you are finding it hard to cut through a piece of wood, that might be a sign that the chain is dull and you need to sharpen it.
There you have it! The above reviews and buying guide will help you narrow down to the best chainsaw sharpeners. With the above information, choosing the right one should no longer be hard. Get any of the above sharpeners and get the most satisfying experience.